Blog module icon

Archives Blog

Mar 17

Weaver-Dallas Home Open House

Posted on March 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM by Jamesan Gramme

Thomaston's oldest home, the Weaver-Dallas House is set for an open house, Friday, March 26th, 1:00-3:00PM. The home is for sale by the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation via their Revolving Fund Program. 

The Georgia Trust asks interested parties to please RSVP to the link here.

205 South Bethel St. Thomaston, GA 30286

To learn more about the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation and to see more photographs of the home, please click this link.

(Text shared from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation)

The earliest version of the Weaver-Dallas House dates to the 1820s, as a one-room house and separate doctor shop, making it the oldest house in Thomaston. Additions in the 1830s and 1840s created a 1 ½ story cottage with Federal and Classical Revival elements. Stepping on site today reveals that not much has changed since then. Located on .98 of an acre, the property includes two smoke houses, a garden shed and a 1930s car shed, and is as close to a time capsule of Georgia history as one may find today. The house has been in the same family since it was purchased by Travis Weaver in 1840. The Weaver-Dallas House lends itself to a number of residential uses, including a comfortable family home, a bed and breakfast, rental properties or an Airbnb.

The Weaver-Dallas House has fifteen rooms in the main house which includes four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Several of the original features in the house have been preserved, including built in bookshelves, original fireplaces and a small stage at the top of the stairs that was used for puppet shows. Modern upgrades have ensured the safety and comfort of the house for years to come.

The two smoke houses on the property have been converted into guest houses with modern amenities. The first smoke house was built in the 1820s, it has one bedroom and one bathroom. The second, larger smoke house was built in the 1840s. It has four rooms which includes an upstairs bedroom along with a kitchen and one bathroom.

Weaver-Dallas Home-00

Weaver-Dallas Home-01

Weaver-Dallas Home-02

Dec 08

The Upson Pictorial History

Posted on December 8, 2020 at 9:12 AM by Jamesan Gramme

The Upson Pictorial History makes for a great Christmas gift! Filled with hundreds of photographs featuring local history - schools, military history, businesses, textiles, the peach industry, and so much more.
Come to the Archives to purchase your copy. Only $30. Proceeds benefit the
Upson Historical Society
!

20201208_083559

20201208_083644

20201208_083836

20201208_083940
Dec 04

Leon Smith Memorial Bridge

Posted on December 4, 2020 at 3:52 PM by Jamesan Gramme

Lately on my commute to/from work I’ve paid more attention to the sign on Leon Smith Memorial Bridge (Hwy 19 between the Walmart shopping center and Home Depot) and thought it would be worthwhile to share info. on the man for which it is named.
Alvah Leon Smith, August 14, 1923-April 1, 1976, was long-time editor for both the Free Press and The Thomaston Times.
Moreover, he was said to be a strong advocate for many causes that contributed toward the betterment of Thomaston and Upson County. Even as a young adult, he was highly vocal about donating an old WWI cannon which formerly occupied the courthouse square to an iron scrap drive that benefited the war effort in WWII.
Leon got his start in the paper business as a young boy, waking up at 4am with his dad to deliver AJC’s so his family could have food on the table during the Great Depression. After returning from the navy in WWII, Smith became editor for the Free Press. After some time, he gained the same title for The Thomaston Times and eventually became a partner in 1964. Some readers may remember his weekly “Not Responsible” articles. Smith was also a strong advocate towards building the dam along the Flint in the 1970s.
Those who remember Dr. R.L. Carter’s “Looking Back at Thomaston in the 1800s” articles may be interested to know that Dr. Carter credits Leon Smith for getting him to begin writing the column. Dr. Carter also credits Smith with publicizing the Upson Historical Society in their early years and garnering public support so they would be able to preserve their current museum, the Pettigrew-White-Stamps Home. Carter also said the following of Mr. Smith, “He was keenly interested in the colorful early history of our county and the great heritage left us by our forebears. It was his desire that the present generation be made aware of how their ancestors worked, lived and died to create this county in which they now live.”
Sadly, Leon died during a boy scout camping trip in the Smoky Mountains on April 1, 1976. He was only 52. In March of 1979, the former Potato Creek Bridge was named for him.

2020-12-03_Leon Smith Bridge-1979-03-07 Thomaston Times, March 7, 1979. 2020-12-04-Leon Smith-1940-RE Lee Annual Leon Smith as a Senior. R.E. Lee Institute Annual, 1940. 2020-12-03-Leon Smith-1976-04-05